Soursop Fruit and Leaves as an Aid in Coronary and Circulatory Health
Researchers studying soursop find that it has properties that can help treat different ailments throughout the body. The fruit is incredibly nutrient-rich, and the leaves are full of beneficial vitamins and antioxidants. Also known as a graviola or guanabana, the fruit is native to tropical areas in the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central and South America. Ongoing research suggests that the fruit has amazing health benefits, including protection against heart disease and circulatory issues.
Soursop is an oval-shaped fruit covered in soft, pliable spikes. People eat the fruit pulp raw. They often use the leaves and bark of the plant to make soursop tea and topical ointments. Soursop is also bottled and sold as a health drink. In Mexico, people commonly use the fruit as an ingredient in drinks. Research in mice has suggests that the graviola plant can help attack cancer cells, reduce inflammation, treat fevers, cure dysentery, and aid in the treatment of eczema and other skin ailments.
Soursop for Hypertension
New studies are revealing that soursop fruit can be used to treat high blood pressure, also known as hypertension. Hypertension is a long-lasting medical condition in which blood pressure throughout the circulatory system remains unsafely high. The consistently high blood pressure rates will eventually affect the heart and the arteries, resulting in coronary artery disease, heart failure, stroke, or cardiac arrest.
The leaves of the soursop fruit have been shown to:
- boost metabolism,
- stimulate blood circulation,
- lower blood pressure.
Tribal people of South America have been using the fruit, leaves, and bark of the tree for centuries, so many people are unsurprised by the results of the studies. The best way to reap the heart-healthy benefits of the graviola plant is by creating a tea from its leaves (get a free soursop tea guide here).
How Soursop Works To Improve Heart Health:
- Soursop reduces blood pressure. The leaves of the soursop fruit work in multiple ways to reduce blood pressure. They keep blood pressure at a healthy level by reducing inflammation throughout the body. The leaves’ anti-inflammatory properties keep the heart and arteries in a healthy condition, which can help prevent heart attacks.
- The leaves dilate blood vessels. Additionally, soursop leaf expands the blood vessels in the body. Soursop tea dilates blood vessels, ensuring that the blood flows properly through the body. This process will decrease the likelihood of heart attack and stroke.
- Soursop lowers cholesterol. Soursop leaves also reduce the levels of cholesterol in the body. The plant’s bark and leaves contain high levels of antioxidants, which help prevent the attachment of LDL cholesterol to the artery walls. When something prevents LDL cholesterol from building up in the arteries, plaque levels also decrease, allowing for the free flow of blood throughout the body. The plant’s anti-inflammatory properties also help control cholesterol levels more easily. The lowering of cholesterol directly reduces the risk of heart attack or stroke.
- Helps with sleep deprivation. Although not one of the leading causes of hypertension, insomnia and sleep deprivation can lead to worsening blood pressure rates. Drinking soursop leaf tea before bedtime can improve sleep quality. The use of this tea has been promoted as a relaxation therapy, which can also ease anxiety and nervousness. Many consumers report an immediate relaxing sensation after consuming this tea.
Natural Medicine Uses of Soursop
Treating high blood pressure naturally is a viable and often a more desirable option for those who are currently on medication to treat the condition. (Always consult with your doctor, naturopath or primary healthcare provide before changing any treatment plan.) Blood pressure medication is notorious for having unpleasant side effects. Sometimes the side effects are so severe that patients end treatment and live with their high blood pressure, which is extremely dangerous. Side effects that have caused individuals to top their medication include:
- Stomach ailments, such as diarrhea or constipation
- Sexual dysfunction
It’s easy to understand why many people do not want to live with these unpleasant side effects. Soursop fruit and soursop leaf tea is not known to produce unpleasant side effects. It is still effective in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. Natural alternatives to pharmaceuticals can result in fewer side effects and can be easier for the body to absorb.
How to Use the Graviola Plant For Natural Medicine
There are a variety of options for consuming soursop fruit. Some recipes call for blending the fruit into a smoothie, adding it to tropical-like drinks, or steeping leaves for tea. Here is one of our favorite summer recipes that uses the leaves for tea:
Soursop Iced Tea
- 5-7 soursop leaves
- 1 orange pekoe tea bag
- 3 green tea bags
- 3 flavored tea bags
- Stevia or agave syrup
Boil soursop leaves in 1 to 2 quarts water for 10 to 20 minutes. Add 1 orange pekoe, 3 green, and 3 flavored tea bags. Let the mixture steep until the drink achieves desired strength. Cool the mixture, adding enough water to make a gallon. Add ½ teaspoon stevia extract or agave syrup for sweetness. If you like, you can also add ¼ teaspoon powdered Vitamin C, for an extra healthy boost.
Where to Find Soursop in the United States
Soursop is very common in Asia, the Caribbean and South America. It can be more difficult to find in the United States and Canada. The fruit’s healing properties have not yet reached mass awareness in the U.S and Canada, so they have not been not readily available. Fortunately, our SoursopStore.com can provide you with the soursop supplies you need to benefit from this heart-healthy plant. We are a supplier of soursop and will ship the fruit directly to your home with one to two two-day shipping on fruit and 3-6 day shipping (free) on soursop leaves.
We source our graviola in the Caribbean, making it close enough for us to acquire and ship the fresh fruit in a timely manner. That means that you, as the consumer, will always receive fresh soursop for your use. Our products include:
- Fresh soursop
- Frozen soursop puree
- Soursop leaves and teas
- Soursop seeds
- And soursop tea starter kit
We have product options to fit every preference. Many of our customers enjoy summer smoothies, derived from our fresh fruit or frozen puree. In the winter, our teas and leaves are especially popular. If you are suffering from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or have been diagnosed with heart disease, try our products to see a difference in your body.